Tuesday, 21 February 2012

2012 Clausura Round 1 Wrap-Up

The Uruguayan Clausura kicked off in earnest last Saturday with a number of quality games and plenty of goals.  

Cerrito and Cerro got things underway on Saturday evening at the Estadio Centenario, with Cerro coming out on top with a 4-1 victory. Luis Machado scored twice in the opening eleven minutes to give Cerro a 2-0 lead. Andres Ravecca added a third early in the second-half before Fabrio Ronchetti pulled one back for Cerrito. Gonzalo Mastriani rounded off the scoring on 89 minutes to hand Cerro a big opening win.

At the Parque Alfredo Victor Viera, Montevideo Wanderers and Danubio played out a 1-1 draw. Diego Perrone put the visitors ahead on 25 minutes from the penalty spot, a goal which allowed him to become the all-time top scorer for Danubio. La Curva were reduced to 10-men on 54 minutes when Sebastian Piriz recieved his second yellow-card, allowing Wanderers to take advantage of their extra man and grab an equaliser with five minutes to play.

Rentistas and Cerro Largo rounded off the Saturday games, also playing out a 1-1 draw at the Complejo Deportivo Rentistas. The home side took the lead on 42 minutes through Jonathan Iglesias, but Rino Lucas leveled the scores on 83 minutes to ensure the points were to be shared.

On Sunday, Fenix and El Tanque Sisley kicked things off at the interesting time of 10.15am. Sisley came away with the three points with a strong 2-0 away win with Pablo Pereira scored a goal in each half.

At the more reasonable time of 6pm, Liverpool secured a 2-1 win at home against Racing Club. Diego Vera put Liverpool ahead inside two minutes, before doubling their lead on 10 minutes. The score stayed the same until 81 minutes with Cristian Ortiz scoring what proved to be a mere consolation goal for Racing. It was also Juan Castillo's debut for Liverpool, the goalkeeper returning to play in Uruguay for the first time since 2007.

Defensor Sporting came out 2-0 winners against Rampla Juniors at the Estadio Olimpico. Maxi Callorda gave the Violeta the lead on the half-hour mark before Federico Pintos sealed the points with twelve minutes remaining.

But without a doubt the game of the weekend was saved for last, with Nacional defeating River Plate 3-2 in a thrilling game at Gran Parque Central. Alexander Media gave the defending champions the lead on 7 minutes before promising youngster Tabare Viudez made it 2-0 in the 32nd minute. Pablo Olivera pulled one back for River just four minutes later before Mauricio Prieto was sent off for the away side just after the break. Nacional made it 3-1 in injury-time thanks to a Matias Cabrera penalty, but it was still a nervy finish when Mauren Franco made it 3-2 with a free-kick shortly after, though Nacional held on to secure the three points.

One game is still left to play in the round, with Bella Vista's clash against Penarol postponed until next Wednesday so that los Carboneros have more time to prepare for their Copa Libertadores encounter against Atletico Nacional set to be played tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment